Friday, February 1, 2008

Changes...

Homestays are over. They were so great!!!! Leaving was harder than I expected, of course I cried haha go figure:)
Things are moving moving pretty quickly. This morning I left my house and returned to campus only to leave again this afternoon to go on a retreat with the Honors College students here at UCU. We are going to Entebbe, the city we flew into about an hour plus away from the campus. We are going to the beach on Lake Victoria, the zoo, which is said to be nothing like American zoos. The animals roam around vast areas of land, including rhinoceroues [I dont konw why I cant spell that word :)] hippos, lions, giraffes and many other animals. I don't know exactly what it will be like but I will let you know.
This weekend will be really great to relax and have some fun. This past week seemed really long and I got pretty homesick. Everything that we have been learning and talking about in classes seems to be so deep and theological, I've been really overwhelmed and not had enough time to process everything so it will be a so nice to have some free time and have some fun!
Please pray that I am able to easily make frienships on this retreat, and conversations go well and . I hope that I'll be able to spend some time getting to know the girls who live on my floor. It's been way to easy to naturally want to spend time with the other American USP students but I would really love to form some good friendships with the other girls.
I went into Kampala this past week. It was so much fun. I ate some American food and had ice cream and coffee! A friend got a cappacino and the foam on the top was designed like a lion's face. If I can get pictures up i would love to show you:)
A funny fact: The other day I was talking with my family and they were laughing at my host brother(who is 8) becuase he had a wedgie. I can't think of the Luganda word they used but they were laughing so hard. I caught on to what they were laughing and and laughed to myself They asked if Americans laugh at the same thing. I started cracking up and told them that we call them "wedgies". I just thought that was funny.
My family gave me a gift last night as it was my last night. They gave me a jewlery set: a necklace, bracelet and earrings made of ivory. They are brown and white rectangles connectd by small beads. The jewlery is absolutely beautiful and probably cost them alot of money, considering its genuine Ivory. It's something that I would have loved to have but would have never spent that kind of money on it. I was so blown away by their gift!
I feel like Im rambling and I am really scatter brained right now, so Im going to leave this and write when I get back.
P.S. the small luxuries in life I took advantage of: I am so excited to wear pants on this retreat:)

3 comments:

Lois said...

hmmm...you wonder about "rhinocerous"?... I wonder about "konw", "connectd" and "becuase". :-) tee hee...
Love you! Mom

Lois said...

Your update is great!! I'm glad to know the little details about your days. Lion-faced cappucino!! Wow!! Starbucks has nothing on Uganda!! I hope you really do relax and enjoy the fun of this weekend. I look forward to talking on Sunday! Love you!! Mom

Deanna said...

si, pantelones:) or however you say it lugandan