So, I am about to leave for Soroti, a fairly remote village that I will be staying in for the next week. I leave this morning. Its about a 7 hour drive. Tomorrow morning I will be dropped off at my host families house. I have an idea that the houses we are going to stay in are more like mud thatched huts; however, I am not really sure. There no electricity and no running water, and possible rodents and all kinds of bugs. I am reallly excited for this trip, Im just really praying that I dont have a rat in my room.:) We'll hope for the best.
Speaking of rodents, last night I was on the phone with my mom and I was standing on the steps leading up to my dorm room. I was standing in the middle of two trees so I was watching numerous bats fly by. They were fairly close and at times I could hear their bodies being carried in the wind. I didn't think much about them, cuz I see bats fairly often at home. I did have one fleeting thought... I hope none of these bats get close enough to skim the top of my head.
Much to my surprise, two minutes later, a bat flies right into the side of my face!!! I felt its whole rubbery body smack against my cheeck and ear. I screamed so loud and danced around pulling my hair, trying to get rid of this sick feeling of bat body on my face! It was so disgusting, i think I would have preferred to have a bat skim the top of my head :) So, my hopes for not seeing rodents on my homestay went down a little bit. If I can handle a bat ON my face, Im sure I can handle other things.
This weekend after I am picked up from homestay, I am going to spend the weekend with my group at Sipi Falls, which is a waterfall an hour from Soroti. I'm excited to spend that time relaxing. We are also going to go hiking somewhere around the falls. I have seen pictures and it looks beautiful!
I won't have internet or any kind of electrical access, so I will let you all know how the home stay went in a few weeks! Please pray for me this week if you think of me for good friendships and connections to be made with my host family, for a sense of peace as things like this can be overwhelming and safety and strength. Pray that I get good night's sleep, in case there are rodents that try to keep me up all night. I konw this may sound petty, but I am more afraid of seeing annimals in my bed and my room than I am of the overall experience. However, this is goign to be a challenging experience and I know I will grow because of it. Thanks for all of your prayers. I can't wait to let you know how it all turns out.
3 comments:
Golly, Nicole, you sure sound like you're having a lot of fun. And also a lot of memorable experiences. Just think about it, 20 years from now you'll be saying " when I was in Uganda, we used to do this or that" I'm 86 years old & I never even saw a bat, or went white water rafting, (especially on the Nile), & as far as rats (my wife despises the thought of them), I can't remember the last time I saw just a mouse. I try to read your Blogs as often as possible, so keep them coming. But now I am going to say "Hurry Home" Sincerely, Uncle Daniel
I would have loved to video tape that bat flying into your face!!! That is so funny...disgusting but funy! I will be praying for you at your new homestay. love you
You poor thing, a bat in your face, i would have died... the place your going sounds really intersting. I will def. pray for you and for protection on your face while you sleep :-)! enjoy the waterfall.... O total change of subject but i think i may have found the bridesmaids dresses..but ill email you that information ok? LOVE YOU! i cant wait for you to get home.
Post a Comment