~*Sleeping in a mosquito net is like sleeping in a little girl's princess dream bed*~
So, my family... They are amazing and we have connected so well and so quickly. They are the sweetest people I have ever met. They are so patient and gracious towards me. Since this weekend, I have learned so much like cooking and lifestyle and personality. I am supposed to cook an "American" meal for them one night. That will be fun. Cooking here is pretty much an all day affair but it really pays off; the food is plentiful and tastes great. After 3 days of being with them, last night me and my 3 sisters, Angela(18), Edith(19) and Martha(15) were talking. They started by saying "You know how when you get to know someone and spend time with them, when they leave, you really miss them?" "Well, we are really going to miss you when you have to leave" This blessed me so much! It had only been 3 days and I knwe how much I was enjoying them adn how much they had blessed me but I did not realize how I was fitting in and how they were reacting to me. We are allowed to visit our families through the semester, and I had already decided by sunday that I wanted to plan for that.
Every other Tuesday in Mukono, the town right outside of campus, hosts a market on a long road. Yesterday was the first one I went to. It was definately an experience. The street started on a hill and sloped down adn then back up in a wide "u" shape. Standing at the top onf one end all I could see was the brown tops of the wooden shops that were set up and the red dirt road was COVERED in the tops of black heads. There were vendors on both sides of the street selling and also vendors with tarps set out in the midddle of the road selling. All were selling things like skirts, shirts, plasticwear, belts, shoes, blankets, etc. It was an amazing site to see and definately an expereince. One thing that has taken some getting used to is the fact that pushing and being directly behind as to pretty much standing on top of you is not considered rude here. Lines are more like mobs and someone will more than likely being on your back. In the heat of the day it's not so much a luxury to be shopping:) Although it was fun!
School is going really well. So many of my classes are so practical and much of the lecture time is class discussion. Normally I don't speak out in class, however I find it so easy here and am learnign so much. My literature, history, and world views classes are taught by Ugandans professors. All of them are really great. My Literature professor is probably my favorite. He is very animated and claps at everything. Our first day he had the class individually stand and say their name, favorite literature, and where we are from. He clapped after each introduction and along the way people began to tell of places around the world they had visited. He got a kick out of this and was so intrigued by it. It was great! I took a picture of him in class the other day, adn hopefully I can post it soon:)
When I try to write these blogs, I get so overwhelmed. I am learning so much and feeling so many emotions it's hard to choose how I want to write things. God amazes me so many times a day. In my Missions class today we were talking about the Big Picture God has in missions adn what missions means. We were also talking about how comfortable we get with being uncomfortable with the American life. I took these statements and started thinking about my own life. I had been having trouble trying to see the big pitcure for my own life. I knew God had called me to southeastern but I was struggling with why I was there and what my purpose was. I didn't feel like I was accomplishing what I was supposed to be. Now ONE week after the semester starts I see that God always has the big picture in mind. This is exactly what I need right now. If you would have asked me before I came I could not have told you what I needed but God knows my needs and knows the answers to them.
I have class soon so Ill finish here. Hopefully Ill be able to write again soon.
6 comments:
wow, girl...an amazing entry! You described the street scene so well! I could just about picture it! Your family sounds amazing! I'm glad you get to keep contact with them. And what you're learning in class....wow...God is really using this time to open your mind and heart to new things! Make sure you take time to sort through whatever you feel like He's talking to you. You are amazing! Love you! Mom
hmm...so what American meal are you going to cook? :-)
Good morning, Nicole, or afternoon, or whenever you read this! :-) Village life sounds appealing for its differences. I hope you are truly taking after your mother and taking lots of pictures that we can't see yet. :-) Can you post them here? I am looking forward to seeing some. Can't wait to see your American meal...don't be surprised if it turns out differently - the stuff you use will be different. So, I didn't even know you could cook? :-) When I read that you were going to cook American, I thought of the time my parnter and I made popcorn in Papua New Guinea... I thought the villagers' eyes were going to pop faster than the popcorn as they heard and watched it happen! It's a good thing you are writing this all down, because by the time you come home, these experiences will be so common to you that you'll forget how you felt the first time. Can't wait to hear your heart when you come back! Love, Auntie Mom.
Wow, Nicole. I just read your blog about the girls and i almost cried (but i didnt bc im in the college library and that would not have been cool lol) isnt it amazing how when you take just one step in faith you quickly learn what it is God has enstored for you. I havent read all of your blogs yet, but im in the process but just from this one i can tell that a part of your life is starting to grow and your passion is really starting to come out for other cultures (i hope that makes since) i laughed when i read about your shopping experiance.. thank God for deoderant! lol.. well i got to read ur other blogs.. love you! miss you!
so when you said you were gonna cook an american meal for them it reminded me of the time your mom came to pick you up at my house, but spent a long time talking with mother krucker. then we got hungry so we decided to make homemade bagel pizzas with whatever we could find (i think we used salsa). that was umm...interesting:)
For Dee...
so does that mean I'm "Mother McHargue"? :-) That sounds really old!!! Love you!!
Post a Comment