Monday, January 21, 2008

Ugandan Culture January 21, 2008

As this morning was the first time to have a strong cup of coffee I am buzzed and very jitteryJ however, I am glad to have a good cup of coffeeJ

Adjustment has been so different than what I expected. Although there are showers when there is running water, I have learned to prefer bathing from a bucket; the water seems less cold and really it’s not hard and takes much less time.

I am having the time of my life. This weekend I stayed with a host family in a near by Ugandan village in the main district Mukono, as I will be doing until Feb 1st. A Ugandan life is so different from an American. The days start when the sun rises at 6:30ish and ends around 10 or 11. Much of the day consists of cooking. The meals are made up of so many carbohydrates. If you think America’s portioning is far too big you have thought wrong.

Matooke (mah-toe-kay) is consistently served at lunch and supper daily. Matooke is made up of cooked bananas smashed similar to the consistency of mashed potatoes. This is served with mounds of rice, about 2 cups per serving. A small amount of meat is portioned out if it is a good day. Some meals are also served with sweet potatoes and receiving 2 is not uncommon. One girl said she was served 5 sweet potatoes along with rive and matooke. Dinner is served around 10:00 and then off to bed. I now understand what it is like to go to bed with a full stomach. I don’t really know if I like that feeling of heaviness in my stomach.J

Classes seem so much less overwhelming this week as they begin to set in.

I was given an African name, Bulyaba (boo-dee-abba). Supposedly it means one that eats a lot or is fat. That I have not come to understand as I don’t consider myself fat and am having a hard time finishing what is served to me at the table. However, it is nice to have the feeling of acceptance.

So much of my time here is spent on learning more about me. I have begun to realize and appreciate characteristics of myself that I once criticized, appreciating ways of life that I once hated, or realizing things that I may have taken for granted before; warm showers, the art of keeping one’s hands clean, personal space, etc. While standing in line for something, it becomes more of a group gathering, and you may find someone standing directly against your back. But here physical touch is valued. While greeting someone you shake hands with a Ugandan will hold on to your hand and talk with you.

Part of being here is being uncomfortable on a regular basis and I love it. The people in the villages speak Luganda. I cannot understand what they are talking about until they choose to speak to me in English. I was told to expect sitting in silence; Ugandans find building community in just being in each other’s presence. I’m glad that I was told it’s OK to sit in silence; it helped in bridging that cultural gap. I enjoy just spending time with them even though I may not understand what they are saying. It really helped in understanding that because I feel that my family and I connected really quickly, although we have much still to learn about each other.


I now have a phone number that you can reach me at if you would like; texting also works but may take a few days to be received. Dial:
011-256-77-346-6485.

It’s cheaper for you to call me when using a phone card which you can get through www.uniontele.com; www.nobel.com; or www.noble.com. (I can’t remember the order) Also, Skype is free to download and costs somewhere in between $0.02-$0.12. I’ve heard both, but all of these methods are way cheaper than for me to call you. And please don’t think I’m expecting calls, just in case any of you would like the informationJ

5 comments:

Lois said...

Bulyaba!! :-) Maybe that should be MY name! :-) It was great to read your next level of adventure! Telling your experiences to those in Michigan has been amazing.... You are loved and encouraged!! I love hearing the excitment in your voice when we talk! You are amazing! Love you! Mom

Ruth said...

Hi Nicole! I logged in this evening to write from your post from last week and found the one you wrote today! It sounds like life is so so different for you...and it sounds like you are loving it! How long does it take you to get to school? Tell us about a classmate.... a professor... the school. I love to hear about it all. We think of you often and look forward to your notes. Love, Auntie Mom

Deanna said...

That name they gave you is awesome!!! Have you gotten your webcam to work yet?

Anonymous said...

Dear Nicole:(Bulyaba) This is your Uncle Daniel, & I just finished reading your "Blog", & I hope I can add this comment properly. I just finished writing a complete comment, & then I couldn't add it because I did not have a password & username. So I signed up & registered, now with these I hope I can add these comments to your "Blog". I'll try.
It sounds like you are really enjoying you stay in Uganda, Keep up the good work, & I hope you accomplish your mission. Uncle Daniel

JennyRanae said...

Bulyaba, actueally i think that name fits you bc as i recal over thanksgiving we had seconds like 4 times.... HA jk.. showering from a bucket huh? well youll be an easy room mate when you get back... but ok on the for real side of things.. r u in a bathroom/stall or just out in the open with shorts on (cinsidering that u must be modest)... have you learned Luganada? So just know that when you get home you will find a nice big bukcet of warm water waiting for you in the shower! lol.. o do you have a physical address? bc.. if your not sitting you might want to... i wrote you a hand written letter! :-D just know that i am completely jealous that ur in uganda and im still...here.