New job. Consuming most of my time. But isn't that what being an adult is about?
I want it to be about more. A job pays the bills. Sure you might love it, but it shouldn't define you. People are not their jobs.
Sure I am more than grateful for this job. It happened all in perfect timing and I believe this is a good thing. But, maybe I have forgotten how much time and effort it takes to prove yourself in a new career job. I had it so easy when I left - after 4 years in the same grade/subject I didn't even have to think about what day of the week it was.
Remember Hilary Swank in Freedom Writers....a sweet, little white girl getting a job in urban NYC and it eating her alive? Sometimes I envision my life like that. But only on the worst days. I have to constantly remind myself what I have experienced through teaching, how much I have learned and stay confident in the experiences that I bring to the table. It's not always easy.
Everyday is better than the last. I'm hoping by December I will have my head straight there. The children are different. Their culture is different. It's loud and less respectful than I am used to, but they are still children - still moldable. And this is exactly why I love what I do. I get to mold them and teach them things they may not learn elsewhere.
Anyways...about my non-career life.... The fun part!
The Perfect Fall Day:
This weekend was amazing! I went with my friend Candice to the Pumpkin Patch. We drove about an hour out of the city - a beautiful escape from the craziness of the city. It was a sunny day with big fluffy clouds in the sky. We took a hay ride out to the patch. Picked our perfect pumpkins, took lots of pictures, ate caramelized apples with way too many sprinkles on them. (I could feel my teeth rotting after two bites!)
Later we went into the Haunted Corn Maze. Let me preface this story by saying that Candice has long told me how much she LOVES Halloween. She has bins of Halloween decorations at her house, she's the one to scare trick-or-treat'ers at her door, she loves the fog machine, and when I helper her move out of her old apartment - I carried a suitcase with a plastic bloodied ax sticking out. This is my friend Candice.
With all of that said - I was feeling like the wimpy scaredy cat going into this maze. To my utter disbelief, Candice was clenching my hand and arm as we walked through, screaming at the scare-tactics. I won't tell you that I wasn't scared, but I was feeling pretty good going through that maze. Of course, I jumped and screamed and ran around - that's what I paid money to do! And it was worth what I paid.
It was a perfect day. I was reliving beautiful childhood memories as an adult, with new friends and a new perspective. It made me realize I how grateful I am for the friendships that I have created here. Until I can gather my thoughts appropriately for a new blog.... Happy Fall!!
No comments:
Post a Comment